Coconut Truffle Fat Bombs
Wow! Yum! My mom gave me this recipe. She makes it for the entire town of Alpine, WY, and also her peeps in Jackson Hole, too. This is an A+ treat you can feel good about indulging in. You can halve the recipe, but you won’t have enough to share if you do. This recipe makes about 32 truffles.
Categories(s): dessert, Paleo
Benefits: Coconut fiber, chocolate polyphenols and antioxidants, MCT oil, low sugar
Ingredients for truffle:
4 cups organic fine shredded coconut, unsweetened
one 5 ounce can organic unsweetened coconut cream (I use Native Forest)
2/3 cup canned full-fat coconut milk warmed to room temperature and well-stirred
1/2 cup organic, unrefined coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
Ingredients for chocolate coating:
14-16 ounces dark chocolate chopped (or use dark chocolate chips)
2 teaspoons coconut oil
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for the coconut truffle. Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated together. You can use a spoon or your hands. Mixture should not be dry and hold together when pressed into a ball.
- Line a baking sheet with a Silpat like the one pictured below or with wax paper.
- Use a cookie dough scoop like the one pictured below or use about 1.5 tablespoons of the coconut truffle mixture and roll into balls. Arrange balls evenly on lined baking sheet and chill in the freezer for 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, carefully melt your dark chocolate pieces in a glass, 2-cup measuring cup with the 2 teaspoons of coconut oil. Microwave on 80% power for 30 seconds, stop, stir and repeat until most chocolate bits are melted. Let the last few chocolate pieces melt as you stir the chocolate. Chocolate burns easily so be patient and careful with this step.
- Remove coconut balls from the freezer. Drop chilled coconut balls into the chocolate one at a time and use 2 forks to carefully coat evenly with chocolate and remove, shaking off any excess chocolate. Return the chocolate coated truffle balls to the baking sheet and leave to set. You may place the baking sheet into the fridge for a few minutes to speed setting the chocolate. Store any extra truffles in the fridge or freezer.